20th Century School

20th Century - District #42 - "The McLain School" Biggsville Township

 

In 1817 a deed was registered to one Josiah Westlake for consideration,

for Military Service, located in the east half of Section 15.

It changed ownership several times until one John Brouse bought

the 160 acres for $2500, in 1865.

 

 

About that time or a little before, the first SchoolHouse was

built and became known as "The McLain School" and was

recorded as the sixth in Biggsville Township.  According to abstract,

the land was sold to George M Jamison and wife Sophia in 1870

for $6681.

 

 

The picture of the first school available showed Nan Magee as

a teacher and the following pupils:  John and Albert Pearnson,

Fred and Walter Brouse, Walter McLain, Laura Pearson and Rose

Brouse, Guy and Edith Renstrom and Hannah Johnson.  This picture

of the old building was taken about 1901.  The directors were

Eli Rezner, Andrew Renstrom and George M. Jamison. Some later

teachers were Lou Lant, Lois Lovitt, Iva Dunbar, Margaret Cowden,

Sophia Shoemakeer, Mr Torpin and Jennie Pearson.

 

 

A new building was erected on the same lovely hillside, a nice

white building trimmed in green, 30' X 16' with front steps and

porch.  It had a nice sized hall with long shelf for dinner pails

and pegs back of door for coats and caps.  The inside was much

the same as other schools of that time except for a globe and

wall-encased maps.  It was now renamed "The 20th Century

School".  The Directors were Leroy Rezner, Herb V. Jamison

and Charles Edwards.

 

 

The first picture taken of the new building with Bird Jones as

the teacher was in 1904. Pupils were Minnie and Ethel Renstrom,

Minnie Nelson, Mabel and Mary Jamison, Glen, Gladys and Mabel

Edwards and Carl Nelson.  Later George and Lynn Jamison and Mildred

and Harold Brouse moved into the district.  Later Ruth, Fred,

Olive, Ida and Eloise Jamison attended.

 

 

Some of the teachers following Bird Jones were Norma Hogue, Edith

Renstrom, Mr.and Mrs. Vail Cordell, Ruth Stocks, Ruth Boyer, Ruth

Swanson, Gothard Newton and Violet Dobbin.

 

 

The pupils about this time were Bob, Lucille, Vail Jr., and Jane

cordell; Howard and Jaycee Rezner; Margery and Mildred Jamison;

Bob and Doris Jamison, Helen Oaks and Dick Rezner.  Among the

last directors were Fay Rezner, Glenn Edwards and James Oaks.

 

 

In 1948 the Jamison land was sold to George Sr. and Mary Brokaw

and a little later to George Jr(Jack) Brokaw who still owns the

farm.  He sold the building to Hugh Golliday who moved it to his

farm for a granary.  The land returned to the original Jamison-Brokaw

Farm.